Sunday, December 6, 2009

Monday 7/12/09

Yesterday I watched Dan Johns Olympic Lifting DVD for beginners and decided to participate in the workouts. Essentially Dan teachs the olympic lifts using PVC pipes or broomsticks. The only weight lifted was the 16 kg bell for goblet squatting and romanian deadlift stretching. This is an excellent DVD and by the end of it I felt comfortable with the snatch and clean and jerk. Would love to integrate this into my current training but fear that if may interfere a little more than I would like. Once the ROP is over I might consider a period of focussing on the 0-lifts but that will be a decision for later.

This morning was ROP light day and this week I am shooting for 5 ladders x 4 rungs for my heavy day on Saturday. This means that your medium day will be 5 x 3 and the light day 5 x 2. Felt pretty good this morning. Need to work on working the pull-up consecutively i.e. 2 pull-ups straight instead of 1 and then 1.

For my volume work I did 9 mins of 10L and 10R handed snatches with 1 mins rest. Ended up with 100. Starting to feel a lot better in the snatch in particular the left hand. Not banging it up as badly as I did at the start. Dan in the kettlebell DVD suggests that you refine your technique by doing Kenneth Jays Viking Warrior Conditioning program. (incidently received that over the weekend and started to read it). Right arm still is a lot stronger but the left hand is getting there.

The Vo2 max program in Kenneths book is definately worth a look but again will complete my ROP cycle first. In fact in a form post on Dave Drapers site, Dan recommended completing the ROP and then doing 2 cycles of - 2 weeks of Program minimum, 2 weeks of Power to the People deadlifts and then 2 weeks of VWC for a total duration of 12 weeks. He then suggested to do 2 more weeks of PM and then 2 weeks of PTTP and finally the last 2 weeks of the rite of passage to try and ace the snatch test. This is looking like the most likely scenario but will assess things in 8 weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment